Week 10: Mark, Peter, Jude

March 30, 2021

Welcome to Week 10!

This week we finish the "Mark track" of our reading by finishing the gospel of Mark and then reading through 1 & 2 Peter and Jude.  All four books are written to an audience that was experiencing some form of persecution for their faith.  Notice Peter's instruction to honor the government so they have no reason to accuse you other than for your faith.  As you read, you will also notice some similarities between 2 Peter and Jude.  My prayer is that you will be blessed through your reading, especially as you read about the passion of Jesus during Holy Week.

As you read, keep in mind our reading questions.  Use these as general questions to keep in mind as we read to help formulate your reflections, observations, and questions.

Our guiding questions are these:

  • What stood out to you in the reading?
  • Was there anything confusing or troubling?
  • Did anything make you think differently about God?
  • How might what you read change the way you live?

Please post a comment below with some of your questions, comments, and reflections from this week's reading.

Comments

  1. In Jude verse 9 I think Jude talks about Michael arguing with the devil for Moses' body. I thought God took his body and buried it in an unknown place. Why would the devil claim it? And why can't Michael call the devil a blasphmer? Never thought of this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is an interesting few verses in Jude. I'm not completely sure on this, but I wonder if this is a reference not necessarily to a dead body, but something more in line with how God allowed Satan to bring all kinds of trouble to Job. A battle for his soul more so than for his actual body. Your second question about Michael, again, not completely sure of this, but I wonder if Michael is leaving the judgment to God. It isn't necessarily the job of angels to cast judgment; that seems to be God's role. Just my thoughts. Anything I said raise other questions? I'm beginning to think it's time to do a sermon series on Jude.

      Delete
  2. While reading Peter I noticed that when Jesus did miracles he always said do not tell anybody what I did, but then when he healed Legion he said go home and tell others what i have done for you. I am wondering what the difference was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Darla. Typically, Jesus did miracles among the Jewish community. The miracle with Legion occurred in Gentile territory (the Decapolis). When among the Jews, "story" was less a part of their (eastern) culture. Jesus also knew that if word got out too quickly, that would be a problem. When among the Gentiles, Jesus was aware that "story" was a huge part of their culture, much like it is in our (western) culture. So, Jesus tells the man to go back to his community to tell his story. This is an example of Jesus knowing his audience and using methods that worked in certain cultures.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry. that was not in Peter. That was in Mark.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Luke 1-11

Week 3: Acts 1:1-16:5

Week 5: Corinthians